Air fryers are the latest trend in cookware, so they may be a little overwhelming to use for beginners! Many people cook their food on top of parchment paper or baking paper, so they may wonder: Can you put parchment paper in an air fryer?
Luckily, as discussed below, this is safe, but only when you follow certain tips. Or, you could simply opt for pre-made perforated parchment paper liners that are specifically cut and made to be used safely in an air fryer. We listed our favorites below.
Try Air Fryer Liners
Can You Put Parchment Paper in an Air Fryer?
Air fryer lovers rejoice, our answer is good news:
An added bonus is that many people may prefer cooking with parchment paper over tin foil. This is due to a fear of aluminum getting into their food.
A great alternative to regular rolls of parchment paper or baking paper is perforated parchment paper liners. These are specifically made for an air fryer (found here). These liners are made to fit neatly in the bottom of an air fryer basket.
Another added bonus is that these parchment paper liners make after-dinner clean-up a breeze. Anyone who has ever used an air fryer will tell you that cleaning them can be a chore. Even if you put them in the dishwasher, they take up a ton of space.
How to Use Parchment Paper in an Air Fryer
Be sure to follow these tips when using baking paper in your air fryer:
- Only place parchment paper in the bottom of the cooking basket
- Do not place foil in the bottom of the pan where grease and food particles fall — only use the paper within the cooking basket
- Don’t cover the entirety of the basket with the liner — your air fryer needs some of these holes to be exposed for proper airflow and cooking (which is why pre-perforated liners are ideal)
- Don’t let the paper stick out of the edge of the basket
- ONLY use parchment paper when you have placed food on top of the paper! If there is nothing to weigh the baking paper down, it could be sucked into the heating unit and cause a fire!
Check Your Manual
Of course, we should add a disclaimer here to always check your particular model’s manual first.
You should check it before adding anything to it that is not just food, including perforated parchment paper.
Most models are made with the ability to cook with a perforated liner in the basket. Still, there could be a particular model that has different advice.
How to Make Perforated Parchment Paper Liners
If you would like to use parchment paper in your air fryer, but opt not to buy pre-perforated paper, you can certainly make you own at home, following these steps:
- Cut one piece of parchment paper to size so it will fit within your air fryer basket. Leave room around the edge for airflow.
- From your roll of paper, cut a stack of about 10-20 sheets to make the liners with.
- Once you have cut one piece of parchment paper to the correct size, place it over the stack of parchment paper.
- Using your original piece as a guide, cut the stack to size. You’ll be left with a stack of parchment paper liners.
- Using a rotary cutter or a hole punch, add consistent holes within the parchment paper. You’ll want a number of breathable holes in the DIY parchment paper liners. This is so that your food will cook evenly and the unit will have proper airflow.
Things to Avoid When Using Baking Paper in Your Air Fryer
Again, as mentioned earlier, it is vital that you always place food on top of the parchment paper in your air fryer.
Without something to weigh the paper down, it could be sucked into the heating unit by the suction and air flow of the fryer. This could cause a fire in your home or damage the unit. And because air fryers are not cheap, we want to avoid damaging our air fryer.
In addition, use a small amount of paper, tucked nicely inside the unit, allowing optimal air flow for proper cooking. Alternately, the pre-made liners will fit perfectly in your fryer.
Is Baking Paper the Same Thing as Parchment Paper?
Many people often wonder if they can put baking paper in an air fryer. They also might wonder if baking paper is even the same thing as parchment paper!
Good news: Yes, baking paper is synonymous with parchment paper. They are both made from the same waxy material.
The final verdict is that you can put parchment paper in an air fryer. However, it’s best to use pre-cut, perforated parchment paper.
Happy air frying!