Paper towels are a popular resource for many cooks. From wiping to lining, paper towels are a versatile tool. But there are some kitchen appliances that might not work well with paper towels, including air fryers, so you may be wondering: Can you put paper towel in an air fryer?
A paper towel is something that should not be used in an air fryer and we’ll discuss more below. You could opt to use a safer option like baking paper or aluminum foil instead. Let’s dig in to why paper towels should not be used in an air fryer.
Can You Put Paper Towel in an Air Fryer?
Sadly, you should never put paper towels in an air fryer for use during cooking.
Related: Can you put parchment paper in an air fryer?
If you really want to line your air fryer, try parchment paper or aluminum foil. You can even use pre-made baking paper liners specifically made to fit in the bottom of the air fryer (found here).
How to Safely Use Paper Towels With Your Air Fryer
You should only use paper towel with your air fryer in these situations:
- You can use paper towel to grease the bottom of your air fryer basket.
- You can use paper towels to wipe out the bottom of your air fryer basket before or after cooking.
- You’re able to use paper towel any other time before or after the cooking process. Remove all paper towels completely from the air fryer prior to cooking.
Check Your Manual
Always check your manual first! You should check it before adding anything to your air fryer that is not simply a food item.
Best Liners to Use In Your Air Fryer
Can you use aluminum foil in your air fryer? What about parchment paper?
Yes, you can use both of these items in an air fryer! Both foil and baking paper are safe air fryer liners.
How to determine what to use in an air fryer:
- If something melts when near heat, it should not be used in an air fryer.
- If something is flammable, don’t use it in an air fryer.
- Only use items that are small enough to line your air fryer basket. Don’t include items that will obstruct air flow.
- It’s not recommended to use dishes or large items in your air fryer. Simply use a liner.
Wrapping Up Using Paper Towels in Air Fryers
The final verdict is that you should not use paper towel in an air fryer. Paper towel does not allow for optimal air flow. In addition, if the cooking time is long enough and high enough, the paper towel can catch fire.
Enjoy those low-calorie air-fried foods!