If you don’t have a vegetable shredder in your mix of kitchen appliances, it’s time you considered adding one.
We all know the importance of including vegetables in our diets but preparing them can be a pain. Washing, peeling, slicing, and shredding your veggies can be a tedious task that can have even the healthiest cook feeling ready to throw in the towel and call for a pizza instead.
Luckily, you can buy a food shredder that’s designed to shred and slice your vegetables within minutes and with very little effort from you. The best vegetable slicer is a must-have in every kitchen these days which is why we put together a list of the top 10 best vegetable shredders so you can select one that’s perfect for your home.
Our Top Picks
What is the Best Vegetable Shredder? Top 10 Reviewed
Before you go down the internet rabbit hole searching for the best vegetable shredder on your own, take a look at our comprehensive guide that features 10 hand-selected kitchen shredders to help make your life easier and help you serve up fresh, healthy meals.
If you’re looking to slice and dice your vegetables fast, then you’ll want to check out the Presto Salad Shooter. These electric vegetable shredders allow you quickly and easily add one ingredient after another without having to stop it and clean it out in between.
The best part is that it shoots your food right into your bowl! It’s versatile in that it can shred and slice everything from fruits, vegetables, cheeses, and more. This is the perfect tool for making a fresh, homemade pizza.
All parts are dishwasher safe, making it a breeze to clean up. This is the best vegetable slicer for people who want to slice and dice quickly and with minimal effort.
- Really easy to use, just plug and play
- Can grate cheese
- Very efficient, no vegetable waste
- Dishwasher safe parts make for easy cleanup
- Easy to store
- It’s a little loud
- No warranty
The Fullstar Mandoline Slicer is all about versatility and functionality with its 5 interchangeable blades. You can adjust the dial to select your desired thickness and you can switch out the inserts to choose which type of cut you need.
It comes with a bonus handheld spiralizer that’s perfect for making zucchini noodles and it’s one of the best carrot shredders on the market. Also, we love that it comes with a fingerguard and protective glove to keep you safe while in use!
- 5 different blade options
- Easy to use
- Adjustable thickness settings
- Safety measures that help prevent cuts
- The small dicer blade can be a little tricky to clean
With just one glance at the over 5,000 positive reviews on Amazon for this kitchen shredder, you’ll know that this is a great product.
This shredder is equipped with high-quality, ultra-sharp blades that quickly and easily glide through even the toughest, hardiest vegetables. It’s very versatile; you can make spirals, chips, ribbons, and noodles from just about any fruit, veggie, and cheese you wish. It’s a vegetable shredder manual option, so operating it is as simple as turning the easy-to-use handle.
- Ultra-sharp blades that don’t easily dull
- Blades store inside the unit for easy and safe storage
- Easy to use and operate
- Makes a variety of different cuts
- Great customer service from the manufacturer
- Although it’s easy to use, there are no instructions with it
The Spiralizer 5-Blade Vegetable Slicer is another highly rated veggie shredder with over 12,000 reviews on Amazon. This vegetable slicer is designed to be the strongest and easiest to use vegetable shredder machine on the market.
It features 420 high-carbon cutlery grade stainless steel blades that work to shred even the hardest vegetables with ease. Turnips, sweet potatoes, and carrots are no match for this kitchen tool.
- Super durable construction ensures it will last
- Can cut through just about any vegetable
- Makes perfect spirals of all different sizes
- Easy to clean up and store
- Easy to assemble and break down
- The suction cups on the bottom are prone to slipping
- No built-in storage for extra blades
This electric food shredder from Presto is designed to shred and slice fruits, vegetables, chocolate, nuts, and cheeses.
It’s a must-have for the chef that likes to experiment with a variety of meals with fresh ingredients including pizza, tacos, salads, soups, and desserts without much effort.
It includes 4 interchangeable cones that can make a variety of different cuts and slices. It’s easy to clean, all parts are dishwasher safe and storing it is simple as well.
- Small, compact size
- Parts are easy to remove and separate from the motor
- Slices and shreds with ease
- Perfect for those who also want to use it for foods other than veggies
- Doesn’t come with a fine shredding attachment
- Some complained that the vegetables came out mushy
This vegetable shredder from Upintek is perfect for vegetable julienne, slicing and grinding. A unique feature of this shredder is that it can also be used as a vegetable grinder, making it super versatile.
There are powerful suction feet on the bottom to keep it in place while you use it and it’s easy to operate with the smooth handwheel. Additionally, it’s made from 100% BPA food-grade plastic, making it a product you can feel good about.
- Very stable thanks to the suction feet
- Easy to use
- Great for slicing even tough vegetables
- Includes vegetable grinder attachment
- Not a great tool to use for spiralizing
If you’re looking for an electric carrot grater, this one comes in at the top of our list. Of course, it’ll slice and shred more than just carrots, it can handle just about any vegetable.
Four interchangeable stainless steel cones allow you to choose from course grating, fine grating, thin slicing, or thick slicing. It’s easy to use, one-button operation makes slicing your vegetables easier than ever.
- 4 interchangeable cones
- Easy, one-button operation
- Easy to clean/dishwasher safe
- The powerful motor makes slicing fast
- Not great for fine shredding
- The hopper is on the smaller side
The Westmark Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer is a great, high-quality selection that offers several different options for cutting and spiralizing your veggies.
The unit itself is constructed from stainless steel making it super durable and it features 4 rubber suction feet that hold it tight in place. It’s easy to clean and the blade slides away underneath when you’re not using it.
- Sharp, effective blades
- Solid base that won’t slip
- Blades can be stored underneath
- Easy to clean
- Backed by a 5-year warranty
- It’s lightweight construction can make it feel flimsy
With the Veggiespize B10, you know right off the bat that you’re getting a great product because it’s backed with a lifetime replacement guarantee from the manufacturer.
It features 5 versatile blades that allow you to make all different kinds of veggie shredder creations like veggie lasagna, zucchini spirals, apple chips, and more.
It’s a manual vegetable shredder slicer, turning out perfectly sliced veggies with the simple turn of a handle, and its small size makes it easy to store away when you’re not using it.
- Simple and easy to use
- Makes a variety of different cuts
- Easy to clean
- Great quality for the price
- Small, doesn’t take up too much counter space
- 5 blade options
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Some complained that the instructions were vague
The Kitchen Supreme Vegetable Spiralizer makes it so there are no excuses for not including fresh, healthy vegetables in your diet—it’s so easy to use!
This is a complete handheld kitchen shredder that comes with everything you need from a special cleaning brush to a recipe book and storage bag. You can create a variety of noodles and julienne spirals from different veggies including; carrots, zucchini, cucumbers, radishes, squash, sweet potatoes, and more! It’s small and handheld making it super versatile.
- Easy to store with the included storage bag
- No complicated features or gadgets to figure out
- Easy to take apart to clean
- Makes perfect spirals
- Includes a cookbook with great recipes
- Doesn’t include a slicing option
- Your fingers are exposed to the blade posing a risk of cuts
What is a Vegetable Shredder?
A vegetable shredder is basically your best friend in kitchen appliance form if you’re someone who’s conscious about consuming healthy, fresh vegetables.
Here are some reasons you may want to add a vegetable shredder to your kitchen:
- Vegetables provide significant value in a healthy diet. They offer a whole host of health benefits that help make sure that your body is healthy and less prone to sickness.
- When vegetables are cut when they’re fresh, it preserves their nutritional value, enriching the nutrients of the vegetables.
- There are several different kitchen shredder styles to choose from, and the one you choose will depend on how you plan to use it.
- A good shredder will slice, spiral, Julianne, chop, and maybe even grind a variety of fruits, vegetables, cheeses, and nuts.
When you choose a highly functional shredder, it becomes more than just a tool to slice your veggies, it’s an all-purpose tool that you’ll find yourself reaching for throughout a variety of recipes.
How to Choose the Best Vegetable Shredder
A kitchen vegetable shredder has always been a useful tool; however, it’s been quickly gaining in popularity over the last decade as we begin to focus more on our health and nutrition.
Dishes like zucchini noodle pasta and vegetable lasagna have become regulars on health-conscious family plates. If you’re in the market for a shredder for your own kitchen, you’re going to want to do a bit of research before you make your selection so that you get the right one for your needs.
Here are some factors that can help aid in your purchasing decision:
Manual vs Electric
When vegetable shredders first hit the market, they were all manual, however, today you can also choose from an electric model.
As technology advances and we continue to seek ways to streamline processes, kitchen shredders have followed suit. And, to be honest, manual shredders have come along way too, most of which are simple and easy to operate and require little elbow grease.
When deciding between manual vs. electric for your kitchen, take into account things like how easy you want to be able to pull it out and set it up, if you have trouble cranking a wheel, and how much time you’re willing to spend slicing your vegetables.
There are a few different material options when it comes to vegetable shredders, the main two being plastic and metal. Both options can be great but pay attention to details like whether the plastic contains any BPAs or if the metal used is high-quality.
A good shredder will be made to last and this means that quality materials are chosen and that they’re reinforced by a design that supports them and ensures they don’t break.
Stay away from models that contain tin as they can be flimsy and prone to corrosion. It’s also beneficial to look for one sold by a manufacturer that offers a solid warranty, as this is an indication that they stand behind the quality of their product.
Frequency of Use
How often do you plan to use your kitchen shredder? Consider these questions:
- Is it something you’ll pull out of the drawer once in a blue moon to make that fancy salad you only make on holidays?
- Or, do you plan to incorporate perfectly sliced and spiraled fresh vegetables into your nightly meal?
If you fall into the latter, you’ll want to consider investing in a high-quality, highly functional shredder that’s built to withstand years of constant use. On the other hand, if yours won’t be used so much, a smaller, more simplistic shredder will do the trick.
How You Plan to Use Your Vegetable Slicer
Take a minute to think about all the things you’d like to be able to do with your vegetable shredder.
- Do you need it to make perfect spirals for pasta?
- Do you want evenly sliced vegetables for a platter?
- Would you like it to be able to chop nuts?
Some models offer a whole host of features and add ons that you can use to make a myriad of creations, and others serve just one purpose.
If you know how you plan to use yours, you can select a model that does just that or choose to select one that gives you more options.
If you’re planning to go with a manual vegetable shredder, be sure to choose one that features an ergonomic design that’s easy on your hands and wrists.
It should be easy to grip and should not cause your hands to become fatigued or sore after periods of use. Also, look for one that has included safety features that protect your fingers from the blade and also include storage underneath to safely house the blade(s).
If you want a vegetable shredder machine that has special features, then be on the lookout for shredders that offer these or give the option to buy attachments that can chop these items:
- graham crackers
- two ingredients at once
Many models have additional attachments that you can purchase to customize your shredder, making it so you have the functionality to use it however you wish.
Benefits of Using a Vegetable Shredder
There are many benefits to using a vegetable shredder, and the best part is that they’re a very affordable kitchen appliance; you don’t have to shell out hundreds of dollars to enjoy them.
They can help you to speed up your food preparation and make your life easier. They can even encourage you to eat more vegetables because it’s so easy to prepare them that you simply don’t have an excuse not to.
Additionally, chopping and slicing your vegetables enhances their nutritional value, allowing you to have the freshest, most nutrient-dense version possible.
The bottom line is that you’ll enjoy these great benefits with a vegetable slicer:
- inexpensive kitchen tool
- speeds up food prep
- make it easier to enjoy fresh vegetables
- provides options for variety of new dishes to try
- can be easier on the wrist and hands of people with disabilities
How to Clean and Store Your Vegetable Shredder
We’re happy to say that all of the vegetable shredders we chose are very easy to clean. When we created our list, ease of cleaning was a priority to us.
Hand Wash vs Dishwasher
Most shredders include dishwasher safe parts making it easy to pop into the dishwasher and get a good clean on the most utilized parts. Most all of the bases are not dishwasher safe, these you simply wash with soap and water, especially if you opt for an electric vegetable slicer.
Care and Storage
Caring for your slicer is similar to any of your other kitchen appliances. It should be thoroughly cleaned, dried, and stored in a dry area. Avoid putting your shredder and accessories away damp as it can create mold.
Final Thoughts on the Best Vegetable Shredder
Including a vegetable shredder in your kitchen appliance toolbox is a fantastic idea. Not only will it make your life much easier without costing you an arm and a leg, but it can encourage you to make healthier choices and experiment with new recipes that are filled with ample vitamins and nutrients.
All the shredders we chose were based on their quality and customer reviews, we hope that this guide helps you find one that compliments your kitchen and meal preparation style perfectly!